2019 Suzuki Jimny/Jimny Sierra JB74W
Well well well, look what we have here.
Plenty of mods to make it into what I want, and I’ll try to give as good a guide to these as I can. I’ve broken the mods up into individual sections with justifications/how-tos and more info where I can.
Haven’t done too many trips so far, but I did sneak down the southwest of WA for a bit of a beach getaway. I’ve tried to catalogue my camping gear here, just so you’ve got an idea of what has worked for me.
Some 4wding through various parts at the back of Perth indicated that maybe something was needed to keep the dog comfortable in the back (hence I got sliding windows).
Winter time saw some action down in the forest tracks of the southwest
It’s also done some things like the Holland Track: did it easily, and super enjoyable time with the car!
Also lots of time just stooging around the Perth tracks, either solo or with friends.
Semi-local tracks like the Captain Fawcett track also get a bit of a look in here and there when time allows.
Servicing and fixing it
I mostly haven’t had to do too much servicing to the car, but I’ve started collecting notes on servicing the car.
The first major fix I’ve done to it was the brakes; they didn’t really need it, but it’s good to write up content on how you change brake pads, brake discs and brake shoes on the JB74.
I’ve also pulled together some suggestions around tool kits and things to consider for different journeys
If you need touch up paints I have compiled the JB74 paint codes.
The evolution of my car
There’s no full list of all of the accessories available in all markets, so I’ve done my best to compile everything out of brochures or from random accessories I’ve seen in various FB groups. This is a non-comprehensive guide to the Suzuki genuine accessories for the gen4 Jimnys.
Protection and recovery
- ARB bullbar and rock sliders (first ARB sliders, then replaced with Horntools sliders)
- Recovery kit details
- Extending diff and gearbox breathers
- Under body protection (not fitted)
- Runva 9500 lb compact winch; soon to be swapped out for a Runva EWT4500 winch
- Under bonnet compressor for tyre inflation / air locker possibilities
- Ironman rated recovery points
- Factory bonnet protector and weather shields
- Long ranger 80L fuel tank
- Upgraded wheels and tyres
- Mud flaps
- Extending earth point on battery
- Battery upgrade
- GME XRS Connect UHF radio
- 2nd battery and charge controller
- Extra circuits inside and out: some 12V system details
- Lighting upgrades:
- Lightforce 6″ LED spotlights
- Upgrade DRL and fog lights to LED
- Reverse light LED upgrade
Luggage carrying and storage
- Rhino Vortex roof bars and small Rhino Pioneer roof platform
- Hayman Reese heavy duty towbar with Suzuki wiring harness
- Carrying water and having a shower – Jimny appropriate solutions
- Explore Glazing sliding rear windows and security grilles
- Kakimoto GTBox 06&S cat-back exhaust system
- TJM airtec snorkel
- Uniden dual antenna for UHF radio
- Sand flag
- Factory retro grille
- Under bonnet heat guard
- Interior storage ideas
- Factory dash mat, rubber floor mats and rubber rear mat for boot area
- Variable speed intermittent wiper stalk modification
- Ram mounts in dashboard
- Aftermarket switches for dashboard and centre console
- Front and rear speaker upgrades
- Interior light upgrades
- Interior tiedown points
- Navigation: some suggestions on navigation not just restricted to Jimnys